I am kind of embarrassed to talk to anyone at church about this; I do not know how to pray. I hear sermons from the pastor, on the Christian television and radio about praying. I want to learn how to pray but don’t know what to do. Sometimes, I just read the Lord ’s Prayer out of the Bible but I long to do more. Do you have any tips? Signed, Longing to Pray
Dear Longing to Pray,
Actually you have started out on the right foot by first having the desire to pray and second following the Word of God through the Lord’s Prayer. I would suggest several other things:
1. Make of list of your prayer requests.
2. Join a prayer group at the Prayer Mountain; we have Spirit-filled prayer sessions five days a week, the schedule is listed at the end of the column.
3. Talk to the Lord in the same manner which you talk to your best friends.
4. Search for scriptures on the subjects you need prayer for, make your request and repeat the scripture after you make your need known to the Lord.
5. Sometimes it is helpful to play worship music quietly in the background during your prayer time.
There are benefits to following these suggestions, when you hear others praying they can be an example of how to get started. There is power in corporate prayer meetings, Acts 2:1-4. Prayer is your personal conversation with Jesus Himself and is much easier to do when thinking of sitting and talking with a dear friend. Praying the scriptures over your needs gives your request power because the Word of God is living and powerful, this kind of prayer releases God’s Word to intervene in the situation.
Please visit the Prayer Mountain, 23 acres in San Diego County. Prayer Mountain is dedicated to the Lord, a place for Christians to cry out in prayer for our families, churches, businesses, our country and the world. I have included some scriptures for you.
Philippians 4:6, “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
Romans 8:26-28, “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.”
• Prayer Mountain – Spirit-filled Prayer Meetings
o Monday-Friday 5am – 9 am
o Friday 7 p.m.
• Radio program: Sundays @ 7 a.m.
o KPRZ AM 1210
• Church service: Sundays @ 10 a.m.
o A Touch From Above Prayer Mountain
o 16145 Hwy 67, Ramona, CA 92065
• Television program:
o Tuesdays @ 9 p.m.-Cox Cable Channel 18 & 23
o Wednesdays @ 5 p.m.-Time Warner Channel 19.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org - I would love to hear from you.